Select Page

Vital Records

Learn More

Birth and death records are filed according to the state where the event occurred. If the event occurred in another state, then a certified copy of the record can only be obtained by applying directly to that state. You must bring a valid drivers licence when applying for birth and death certificates. Birth and Death Certificates can be obtained through our Vernal office at 133 S 500 E or in Roosevelt at 281 E 200 N.

Tricounty Health Logo


  • Can a parent change a child’s name? Yes, but if the child is more than a year old, there needs to be a court order to do so. Parents can change a child’s name before the child turns one without a court order.
  • Can I get my birth certificate from TriCounty Health Department if I was born in another County in Utah? Yes. We can issue a birth certificate to anyone born in Utah.
  • Can I get my birth certificate from TriCounty Health Department if I was born in another state? No, you will need to contact the vital records office in the state you were born in to obtain your birth certificate.
  • Can other health departments in the state of Utah issue state certified records? Yes they can.
  • My ex spouse passed away, can I get his or her death certificate? No, death certificates are not public records — only immediate family can obtain death certificates. 

*Immediate family includes: siblings, parents, children and grandchildren. Step children cannot obtain death certificates for their step parents unless there is a legal need. In order to do so you must provide documentation with your name and descendants name in the documentation. 

  • My child’s mother or father passed away and we weren’t married. Can I get his or her death certificate for Social Security benefits? No, you need to have a letter from Social Security stating why you need the certificate. Parents need to schedule an appointment with Social Security first, and then the Social Security will send the parent a letter to the parent. The living parent will need to provide that letter to obtain the death certificate.
  • Can anyone get a birth, death, marriage or divorce certificate? No, these are not public records, only immediate family can obtain these documents.
  • I just received my child’s birth certificate and the father’s name is misspelled and or his date of birth is wrong. How do I fix my child’s birth certificate? Parents will need an affidavit to amend the record and the father will need to provide his birth certificate for proof. Both parents will need to sign the affidavit in front of a notary. The affidavit will then be mailed to the state vital records office to correct the errors.


Fill out form below, print and bring to TriCounty Health Department for convenience

Utah Online Vital Records

Certificate Outside of Utah

Related Services

Mother and Infant baby

Breast feeding

To learn more about breast feeding and lactation support services, click the photo above.

Baby your baby

To learn more about the Baby Your Baby program, click the photo above.

Colorful Paint

children with special healthcare needs

To learn more about helping out with children that have special healthcare needs, click the photo above.

serving for health

Vernal (435) 247-1177

133 South 500 East, Vernal, UT, 84078

Environmental Health Hours:

Monday – Thursday 7:30-5:30

Fri 8-5

Environmental Health office is closed noon-1 pm



TUES-THURS 7:30-5:30

Fri 8-5

Roosevelt office closed noon-1pm

Roosevelt (435) 722-6300

409 South 200 east, roosevelt, ut, 84066